However, the Egyptian state TV claimed that elements of Islamic extremist groups situated in the Sinai peninsula had carried out the attack by iftar (the hour when people have their meal that breaks the fast during Ramadan), but provided no details.
An anonymous Egyptian security official was quoted by Egypt’s state-run news agency as saying that Islamist elements who infiltrated Egypt from the Gaza Strip through tunnels are behind the attacks, along with other Islamists situated in the areas of El-Halal Mountain and El-Mahdia in eastern Sinai.
- Islamist/Jihadi operating within Sinai attacked an Egyptian military outpost - or
- Islamist/Jihadi fighters came from Gaza - came into Egypt (Sinai) and attacked the outpost
Israelis side’s (Haaretz) account is:
- Jihadi from Sinai attacked an Egyptian military outpost
- took two military vehicles
- approached the border with Israel
- (and both vehicles were destroyed)
In either account, when Jihadis attacked the outpost they killed 15 Egyptian soliders and injured several.