Jot: Obama II - How Obama could use this 4 years 2nd term to become ‘Transformative’ President, Discuss
Was the topic of one segment of Brian Lehrer show (WNYC, NYC’s public radio station) this morning, but somehow WNYC website didn’t set up the discussion area - but anyway.
Jodi Kantor of The New York Times on the President’s second term; and a close look at how design and engineering could provide solutions for rising tides and storm surges in the future.
I’d say (without much thinking or checking) 2 thing.
Education (overhaul, reform), but not Lefty push but more focused on
- Real great international comparison (create a team to run this comparison to report back, with website setup which is accessible for public and discussion)
- Securing America’s Sci/Tech/Entrepreneurism (with good number crunch)
- With attention to the issue of red states and some wicked social conservative elements, and post-industrial America situations
- So that America creates education system which ‘updates itself’ and - also secure good job/career prospects for (all?) Americans
- (Could have also like what went so wrong? kind of checks too.)
On this, he could push ‘manic’ for 2-3 years and see how it’s going. If it looks like failure, correct on what needs to be corrected.
Then 2nd is:
- Financial regulation (Splitting retail and investment banking - ‘Too big to fail’ issue - UK’s Sir Mervyn King, and Gordon Brown and others. )
- I don’t know how this’d look really in USA. But some number crunching may be possible to see how it’d affect - whether it’d improve the situation for middle class or otherwise.
Something about the way American economy esp financial sector is going - though that may require more global take - (EU taking too long to really come out from its crisis - why? How are these relevant or irrelevant?: Separating retail and investment banking, and austerity policy).